July 13, 2008

olive's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad weekend!

So... since i posted yesterday about olive, her weekend has taken a turn for the worst. Last night, she somehow managed to stab her left eye with the plastic end of a balloon that I was (whoops) letting her play with. After letting out a very sad yelp, her eye immediately started swelling up! For a dog who already has bug eyes, this is a very very sad sight. So, being the caring, yet financially impaired dog owners that we are, we tried to apply an ice pack to her eye (not very successful) and gave olive several cloves of fresh garlic, which I have heard from many sources can work as a natural antibiotic (for people and animals apparently). So we ended up with a much subdued and quite smelly dog with one giant eyeball.

This is when the story goes even further south. Ryan works on Sun mornings, so Olive and I got up and took a walk to starbucks before we had to get ready for church. I thought this would be a nice treat because I was still feeling bad about the balloon incident. Little did I know that a beastly little white dog would attack olive on the starbucks porch and put two puncture wounds in her little face... on the SAME SIDE as her already swollen and pitiful eye!!! This stupid little crazy dog actually dragged olive about a foot by her lip! Poor dogger... anyways, i now feel like the absolute worst pet owner of all time! I'm trying to spoil her today by allowing her to sleep in her favorite spot between the big pillows on our bed. She's snuggled up next to me on the couch as I type, so I think that she's going to be alright and has forgiven me for not protecting her against crazed dogs and poking balloom stems.

How do people have children?? ... Seriously....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i heard the same thing about garlic! did it end up working? no expensive vet bills i hope...it seems like we can't walk out of our vet's office without paying well over $100. so, i've been putting off molly's yearly shots for about 6 months now...oops!

anne booth said...

I think it did work! At least olive is doing perfectly fine and she never got an infection or anything... she did smell like italian food for several hours though!

anne booth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.