June 27, 2008

a few thoughts...






there are some really cool things about living in a big city... even if that big city happens to be Houston. there is no avoiding the fact that houston is one of the hottest, sweatiest placed on the earth, but still it has its charms. in the past two years, R and I have discovered that we can walk to the grocery store, multiple coffee shops, three amazing cafes, the library, a huge city park, and three impressive museums (MoMa, Natural Science, MFA) all within ten minutes (seriously... just strolling). I've loved getting to the point where I actually feel like I know my neighborhood personally, and that it knows me somehow...

I have all of these little strange things I love to do around here, one of my favorites is driving down west gray and spotting ballerinas. this may sound strange, but the houston ballet central studio is on this street and whenever i am in the area, i love to look up and down the sidewalks for male and female ballerinas who prance down the street go to and from rehearsal. Even though the are dressed in street clothes, there is always something distinctly dancer-ish about them. (i love this because i have always secretly wished that I had these dancer-ish qualities). I have always loved ballerinas and everything ballet, i only had about a 3 month dancing career at age 4, but i have always dreamed of what it would have been like to be a true dancer... looking so slender and graceful in tights and a leotard, and leaping, spinning and well basically floating around a stage. My favorite book growing up was called "dance tanya dance" and some part of my still feels like this little 3 year old girl watching through the window as her older sister practices ballet... hoping that she'll get her chance one day... i truly love being a girl sometimes... we are allowed to be dorky and wistful at the same time.

anywhoo...silly random thoughts, hope you guys are having a great day... I'm off to prepare for my first day of work on Mon!
much love, amb

No comments: