October 24, 2008

words for my soul...





I loved loved loved reading this post from purlbee that talks about the domestic lives of women past and present... take a read...

"Although visually stunning and inspiring to read, the pictures and stories in The Gentle Art of Domesticity are not what drew me in the most. In the introduction, Jane calls attention to something that I and I'd guess lot of women of my generation think seriously about every day--the choice many of us have between staying at home with family or going out into the workforce, or even doing both. She remembers that in the seventies (when I was born), feminism was mainstream again and young girls were being raised to have a greater sense of independence through career. To the feminist thinkers of the time, the domestic arts were a throwback to the days when women's lives were relegated to the home, and soon enough they became devalued as quaint and irrelevant. Having become a woman with both a professional and a domestic life, Jane reports that she sometimes felt embarrassed by her love of knitting, sewing, and baking and hid her creations, thinking she was alone in valuing these skills. Well, it's certainly clear by the publication of this book, the popularity of yarnstorm and other blogs like it, and the resurgence of craft circles and retailers that she isn't alone. I know that I enjoy spending much of my spare time in the kitchen, or with a pile of wool in my lap, or at the sewing machine, and that I feel great satisfaction in both the process and the product of these pursuits. And most of all, I'm glad that I was given a choice. Thank you Jane!"

I too feel that some of my favorite times are sitting quietly on the floor with my knitting in my lap, trying a new recipe, wrapping a gift, or sewing at my machine. I want to be less embarrased of this side of my heart, I want to share these things with other women in my life. I want to fully enjoy the wonders of being a girl...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sister-in-Law! Let's be blog friends. I'm such a nerd.